Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Designer's Eye: Character Concepts

Monday, DC Comics announced that they will be launching a new line of graphic novels featuring their major characters that will set aside the continuity-heavy stories that occupy the DC Universe proper and open up the characters to be accessible to a new audience. The line, being called "Earth One," will open with Superman and Batman and will contain a continuity established across the line.

I find this particularly interesting because it mirrors a line of comics that Marvel had major success with at the beginning of the decade in their Ultimate Marvel titles. Now, DC has attempted to create a similar line in the past with their "All-Star" titles, but in my opinion, they never lived up to the hype. This time around, they seem to be keeping it simple, keeping the characters true to their roots (while modernizing the stories for a new audience) and continuing to use top-notch talent.

Only time will tell if these books can help bring new readers into comic shops as the "Ultimate" line did in the early-2000s, but after seeing the preliminary art (which I've added below), I'm willing to give it a shot.

A pin-up by for Superman: Earth One,
by written by J. Michael Straczynski
and drawn by artist Shane Davis.


Concept artwork for Batman: Earth One written
by Geoff Johns and drawn by Gary Frank
featuring Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Concept art for Alfred, by Gary Frank.

3 comments:

  1. That drawing makes Alfred look like a badass! I never really collected Batman while I was younger (I was a Marvel/Ghost Rider-1990s fan myself), but I was crazy about the cartoon. I don't recall Alfred's background ever being revealed in it, was it detailed in the comic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was really fleshed out in the late '80s by writers like Denny O'Neil and Doug Moench. He was a field medic in the England's armed services. That's how he's able to bandage up Batman all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tim. Don't mess with Alfred! But the artwork for Earth One looks ahMAZing. I hope I can get my hands on more graphic novels over winter break. My gosh, where do I begin? lol.

    But, anyway, it's endless what you can do with photoshop. I wish I had attended that pen class for indesign (or illustrator?) though. I used to do all my work in photoshop. But now I'm starting to create simple vector art in indesign. It's so much easier to resize vectors. I definitely want to be more skillful with the pen tool.

    ReplyDelete