Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Designer's Eye: Tour du Port

I saw this postcard for the upcoming bike race though the streets of Baltimore and it caught my attention for a number of reasons. First, the use of the different typefaces for the logo and the use of a bicycle's gears for the "Os" in both tour and port, as well as the "0s" in 2009, really stuck home with me. I've done a lot of this type of logo work in the past and am always interested to see different was to use objects as letters.

The second thing that really grabbed my attention was the overall layout. It makes use of opacity and varying sizes of landmarks to create the illusion of depth, which I think works very well in the piece. Also, the use of angles adds a really sense of motion to the image.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I really like it when illustration and design can work together. The colors are vibrant and the logo draws your attention in to the main theme. However, I would of like to have seen it without the little crab at the bottom. It makes it feel too 'cutesy', whereas the top portion feels artistic yet professional. I feel like they just threw him in to fill up space. Also I think Brush Script is used way too often and it would be less cliché to use another font. Good find though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i keep getting updates for this in my inbox! but i really like it - i'm a huge fan of layered clothes and layered design. the incorporation of the different baltimore elements makes it feel so personal. it's definitely wall-worthy, though i'm gonna have to agree with kelly on the script typeface choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kelly, I agree with you on the whole crab thing. I think it distracts from the cohesion of the piece more that adds to it. Also, I think Brush Script can work in some case, it may not have been the best choice for this particular piece.

    ReplyDelete