Friday, September 25, 2009

Show & Tell: Verbal Definition/Explanation

For this week's Show & Tell, I came across an article in Travel and Leisure magazine describing 27 affordable beach resorts from around the world. As I read through then, this description of a resort in Mexico stood out among the other short pieces. The writing is so descriptive that I could envision myself walking up to the front of the inn and almost feel the ambiance within its few sentences. Here is how it read:
From the outside, it doesn't look like much: a weathered brick-and-adobe hacienda hidden down a dusty unpaved side street in Todos Santos, a little beach town 90 minutes north of Los Cabos. But past the heavy iron gates of the eight-room Todos Santos Inn, you'll find a fairy-tale setting in a 19th-century sugar baron's former estate, with frescoes, adobe walls, and beamed ceilings. Netting hangs romantically over antique canopy beds in all the rooms, several of which open onto a fountain-bedecked terrace. Palm trees shade a small pool in the courtyard. Artist from the 16 neighboring galleries gather at night around the inn's candlelit wine bar, which sources bottles from around the globe.
This piece really painted a vivid picture in my mind of a week away from the stress of everyday life. What really drew me to this piece over the other 26 descriptions in the article was the lack of in accompanying image, which really caused me to use my mind's eye to see what I was reading about.

As far as the image goes, I Googled the Inn to find some art to accompany this description and was really drawn into this photo. Its composition is excellent and the details draws the eye throughout the piece. It utilized space well and has just enough contrast in colors to work effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment