Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Designer's Eye: Verizon Poster

I was in the Verizon store in Columbia yesterday and happen to look up while checking out and saw this poster behind the cashiers:

There was something about it that wasn't right, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. After starring at it for a few more minutes, I finally figured out what was bothering me about it. It was originally one image that was cut to make three separate images, as if the scene was being view through three windows. The thing about it though is it is done so in a distracting way. Faces and bodies are split between the frames, the building looks out of proportion and the split text is a little distracting.

Below is an example of how this effect should be done, where portions of the image are replaced, not just split and separated. It comes from the latest issue of Gotham City Sirens from DC Comics.

In this image, you can see the silhouette of Poison Ivy cut away through the scenes of exposition in the story.

2 comments:

  1. I am constantly seeing those types of posters in stores. You would think a big monopoly like Verizon would spend the money to do it right. I don't see the point of dividing them into three. I think it would have looked better all one photo. Obviously with the comic, there was an effect and style that the designers were trying to execute and it worked. The Verizon photo on the other hand just doesn't work as three separate units. Plus the Verizon guy really annoys me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poison ivy piece looks great, even though she is a lame villian. Well, that's my personal opinion at least.

    ReplyDelete